Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Fond Memories




Hello and welcome,

Today I am sharing with you my Collection Folio.

A Vintage Journey is running a challenge called Fond Memories. I can't say I have memories of these photos being taken as I wasn't even born, but I can say the shear joy and excitement of receiving all this information on my ancestors and putting this piece together has given me heaps of fond memories.  The information in my folio dates back to 1786, and as time goes by I will be adding more photos and information.  It is based on my maternal grandmothers family.

Here is the link......http://www.vintagejourney.com/2014/05/challenge-5-fond-memories.html if you would care to pop on over and check out all the amazing work there.

Yes there is a prize and it is sponsered by Country View Crafts........here is the link http://www.countryviewcrafts.co.uk/.

My Tim Inspiration for this particular piece, where do I start??  Well I had  in my hot little hands his new Collection Folio.  LOVE LOVE LOVE the Collection Folio's.  I recently bought some of Tim's Phrases,Arrows & Numbers and desperately wanted to try out his Altered Surfaces Technique in Compendium of Curiosities #3.  Love this technique and will be using it more.  Oh my the Cabinet Card Frames....Oh my the cabinet card frames....did I already say that? I had all these gorgeous packets in front of me and all these loose photos needing a new home. PERFECT!  Can't forget the Monocles, these are so vintage and I have used two of them which you will find hanging on the outside of the folio. I have inked, distressed, stenciled, torn, alcohol inked what ever I could get my hands on. Lots of fun and a wonderful piece I can now put to good use for further generations. Hope you enjoy it too.

Now there are a few photos....you may want to get a cuppa before you scroll down.



Front





















What a lovely mess.




















Getting started.



























Here I stamped a pen onto paper then glued a cabochon on. Let it dry completely.













After cutting around edge of cabochon turn upside down and glue another image (here I have used a piece from a tag) then glue the flat side to the Monocle.














Here is the Cabochon, on the left is the pen image and on right is music notes.




















Here is the altered surface technique.


























The Spine is covered in Washi tape.





















I have used Alcohol Inks on Tim's Film Strip. This hook is for the embellishments to hang from.







Lets see whats inside.




















There is still room here for more envelopes as needed.




















Here I glued a fragment (which has already had an image placed on it)  onto the butterfly image already on the paper.








Opening top flap.

Bottom flap.

I have added images and pockets/envelopes to both sides of the insert. So now we start flipping from right to left.













































































































































































Its all in Dutch.




















My mum is yet to translate it for me.




















Back.


Plenty of room in the back for more.





















One side of tags.




















Reverse side.






















There you have it. I hope you enjoyed browsing my folio as much as I had making it. 
Have a great day!!




20 comments:

Redanne said...

Oh my goodness Karen, what a beautiful treasure this folio is! How wonderful to be able to trace your family back so far and have 'real' photos of them to put in your folio. I love the way you have housed them, in a beautiful vintage way. I really love the monocles too.

Thank you for joining in our Fond Memories Challenge at a Vintage Journey too. Anne xx

Sue Horsley said...

I LOVE this. Just fabulous

Monique Deconinck k said...



Superbe
Bravo
Oceo

Lys Scrap said...

I loooove! This wonderful plenty of "flip-flap" pages book... and the warm colours of memories are so beautiful! and the cabochon... perfect! Lys.

Zuzu's Blog said...

Oh wow.. so much to see. I have never seen his folio folder things but from looking at your project I can tell they must be very inspiring. I love the inside with all those great layers of photos and cabinet cards etc. very tactile looking. i want to flick through. you were quite right to put in plenty photos of your project.

Astrid Maclean said...

OMG Karen, this is totally amazing, - what a collection of brilliant family photos, absolutely stunning also how you put it all together, a real labour of love and so very beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing this incredible folio with us over at A Vintage Journey, it's truly fabulous. (I am Dutch originally, so I was really struck by the fact your ancestors are from there too!)

Terry said...

Oh Karen this is such a lovely treasure of fond memories and learning about your ancestors! All the details and layers are so well put together and simply stunning! I love every section! Wow! Thank you so much for joining our "Fond Memories" at A Vintage Journey!

S@ndy Diller said...

Oh Karen this is so amazing. I love the folio but it's even better with your family photos in it. The entire thing is fabulous!
Thanks for sharing it with us here at A Vintage Journey.

Margaret Mifsud said...

Wow!!! This is magnificent Karen!! What a beautiful treasure trove of memories!! So much to see and so beautifully put together. It is so nice to actually see the photos and not just the journal ... magic!! Interesting to note that you have Dutch Ancestry ... I was actually born in Holland!! Small world!! LOL!! Totally love this. Beautifully done! ox

Ana K. said...

Wow Karen, absolutely adorable...so many gorgeous details and photos...love, love it!
Hugs from Slovenia

Candy C said...

Karen....this folio truly is a work of art! Oh my goodness...where to start?! This looks like something you've pulled out of a very old trunk in the attic. I love all of the photos, Tim's cabinet cards and how you have created all sorts of pockets and flip outs for them. Just everything about this piece screams vintage and family. I LOVE LOVE LOVE it, Karen! Thanks so much for sharing your always beautiful art with us at A Vintage Journey. <3 Candy

butterfly said...

Wow, Karen, this is an absolute work of art. What a treasure trove of memories, beautiful images, inking, embellishing, stamping - you name it, it's here doing a beautiful job! Glorious work... thank you so much for joining us on A Vintage Journey.
Alison x
Also wanted to say a belated thank you for your visit and kind comment on my Blogworthy link - so much appreciated.

Almo said...

Absolutely LOVE this folio Karen, the work gone into it is amazing. I keep going back over it for another look, what a little gem you have created good luck in the challenge. Mo x

Buttons said...

Good grief Karen this is incredible!!! So many fantastic Tim techniques, so much clever design and what a collection of memories ephemera and tags. Thank you SO much for joining us at A Vintage Journey with this gem. Jenny x

Jan Hill said...

This Ian amazing, you must be so pleased!

Jess M said...

Karen,
Holy cow! This is amazing. So much detail on every single piece of paper. A true work of art.
Jess

Mary Elizabeth said...

What can I say ... this is such an incredible home for these documents and photos!!!!! I love all of the details, stamping, binder clips,and embellishments. What a legacy to pass along from generation to generation. Handcrafted with love. Fantastic make!-- Mary Elizabeth

Candy C said...

Karen...congratulations on your Pinworthy project for A Vintage Journey. When I saw this, I immediately fell in complete love with it! <3 Candy

Almo said...

Congratulations on your pinworthy Karen. You know how much I loved this from my original comments, this award is so well deserved. Mo x

Paper Profusion said...

Very serious Wow from me Karen! I echo 'labour of love' and 'work of art' above. Very very beautiful! I would love to hold this in real life and study through all the elements. Love all the dangling embellishments too. I hope that this gets great attention from your family, it truly merits same. Nicola x