Thursday, July 31, 2014

Vintage Matchbox Just Stain It/Vintage Travel/Anything GoesChallenges

Hello and welcome,

I have been having such an amazing time in my studio. The Vintage Vibes are true and strong.
I have created a matchbox (using the Tim Holtz  Matchbox Die) with a hidden face and a mini interactive book to fit inside. Just for something a little different you will find a young girl who likes to walk from one side of the page to the other, and a mans face appears as you pull the drawer out.  The mini book measures approx 5.5cm x3.5cm and is 1cm thick. I've enjoyed making this so much I think I will make some more.

This piece has been entered into three challenges:
1st Challenge is A Vintage Journey http://www.vintagejourney.com/2014/07/challenge-11-just-stain-it.html.... which has a challenge Just Stain It using Tim Holtz Distress Stains.  Well I have learnt so many more ways to use this amazing product, like adding it to my mini mister bottles that have been sitting empty for far to long. Now I really really need more bottles.  I also stamped with it and was pleasantly surprised with the end result. This challenge is being sponsored by Country View Crafts here is the link.....http://www.countryviewcrafts.co.uk/ who are offing a 10 pound voucher to the winner.
My Tim Inspiration for this piece was to totally age this piece up and  to try out the Brushless Watercolor technique in CC2.  These books really are worth purchasing, they are beautifully designed and are a really quick way to access different techniques. Here is a link if you would like to purchase one from Tim himself.....http://timholtz.com/a-compendium-of-curiosities-volume-ii/  I have also used Tim's papers, stickers, rub-ons, inks and stains on this piece.
I have also included here a link I thought you might like with Tim Holtz showing some ways for you to use the Distress Stains......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7slLlne-xE&index=8&list=FL5ygADtcQ2V3Epx31_rgHAg

2nd Challenge is Frilly & Funkie where the challenge is Vintage Travel....hence the  Hot Air balloon charm.  Apparently in 1782 the first Hot Air balloon was propelled through the air.  As I browse through my little book I feel as though I am travelling on a vintage journey through times gone. This is sponsored by The Funkie Junkie Boutique..http://frillyandfunkie.blogspot.com.au/2014/07/vintage-travel-challenge.html which the ever wonderful Linda runs herself. There is a $25 voucher for the winner, so why not join in with me. Here is the link for the Boutique.....http://www.thefunkiejunkie.com/

3rd Challenge being Simon Says Stamp.....http://www.simonsaysstampblog.com/wednesdaychallenge/ The challenge is Anything Goes. Brilliant I say!! You can create anything and enter it. Its as easy as that. Why not join me over at Simon Says Stamp and have some fun creating your own piece. Simon Says Stamp is the sponsor and are offering a $50 voucher to the winner.....how generous is that??


Ok are you ready to see my latest creation........hope you enjoy it!

























If you get the chance to play with the distress stains I urge you to put some in mini misters, this is so much fun. The eye has been stamped in the bottom of the drawer.











Once I started spraying the pages with distress stain I them mopped up the leftovers with the book cover. For the cover I used thin chipboard and the pages Tim's manila paper.











This is the outside of the book cover.



This is the inside of the book cover.




Once completely dry I scored then glued the pages together.











This is the matchbox cover. I've cut a hole in the front so I can place some acetate (which has alcohol ink on it) and a metal plate which you will see in the next photo.











I have also added some stamping and texture paste.












I am using magnets for my closure and I didn't want to cover them with paper so decided to alcohol ink them, let them dry and then I placed a rub-on on top. I think they came up pretty good.












Here is the little girl who likes to wander across the page.








Here she is on the right hand side now. These are the two pages decorated and ready to glue together.










Back of the pages.










Now I have the inside of  the cover, the bottom of the drawer, and the pages ready to be glued into the book cover.





















































































































If you've made it this far that's brilliant..... thanks so much for stopping by today.
Till next time......

31 comments:

Margaret Mifsud said...

Wow! Wow! Wow! This is amazing Karen!! So much detail in such a tiny space ... Awesome and so gorgeous!! ox

Rita said...

What a fabulous matchbox Karen. You really are so talented and I love all that you do. Need to save my pennies again to get this die. Hugs from Scotland. Rita xxxx

Jingle said...

WOW!!!! I just absolutely LOVE this. Every last detail! Stunning piece! Thanks so much for playing along with the Anything Goes Challenge on the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge Blog!

Andrea Ockey Parr said...

This is remarkable! I'm amazed at how many fabulous techniques you used! The end result is quite stunning and such a feast for the eyes. I just got the Tim Holtz matchbox die, so this project is especially inspiring!

Heather said...

Such a stunning creation - I love the vintage style and beautiful photos and wonderful details within such a small scale - amazing!!!

hugs
Heather xx
Thanks so much for joining Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge

Buttons said...

So incredibly inventive Karen! For something so small you've got a lot going on and I'm so pleased we got lots of close ups. The little girl running across the page and the ghostly image of the gentleman left peering out of the box when the lady is 'set free' really remind me of Victorian vintage treasured memory pieces. Thank you so much for joining us at A Vintage Journey and Frilly and Funkie. Jenny x

Annie said...

A beautiful project Karen :-) wonderful details and photographs. Must add this die to my wish list.
Thank you for sharing with us at AVJ

Crafty hugs Annie x

Meggymay said...

Wow, an awesome project, the details and photos are fantastic.
Yvonne

Sara Barker said...

This is incredible! I'll need to look at this closer with a cup of coffee in the morning. I'm speechless!

S@ndy Diller said...

Karen, AWESOME is too small a word to describe this project. I just love every aspect of it. It is so detailed yet small. Simply amazing! Thanks for sharing with us at AVJ.

Astrid Maclean said...

OMG Karen, another vintage grungy master piece!! This is just stunning! The little book looks incredible, - it's hard to believe it's so tiny! Fabulous from beginning to end! Thanks so much for adding it to our challenge at A Vintage Journey!

Monique Deconinck k said...



Waouhhhhhhh splendide
Oceo

steffi said...

Wow! What else can I say? This is an amazing piece of art :o)

Mary Elizabeth said...

Karen ... I am bowled over by this project!!!! What a fabulous idea! As I looked at each picture, I was more and more amazed at the intricate details in this little gem. I love that your matchbox has room for that lovely charm on your book. Stunning vintage feel. I LOVE it. Hugs -- Mary Elizabeth

Susan said...

Oh My Gosh! These take my breath away. I am so very glad to have found you. Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful creations.

Nancy Dynes said...

Karen,
You have created the sweetest vintage matchbox album. Your attention to detail is amazing and the results are over the top fabulous! Thank you so much for joining us at the Frilly and Funkie!!
Hugs,
Nancy

Terry said...

Karen, you have another "WOW" over here! Your vintage matchbook is gorgeous and so many great details. Loved seeing this from start to finish. Thank you so much for sharing this with us at A Vintage Journey. Enjoy the weekend.

Ruth said...

Fabulous, exquisite detailed creation, WOW!

Redanne said...

Well Karen, this has just shot to the top of my list of favourites from you, it is fabulous! So much detail and so many techniques packed into a matchbox... love it!

Thanks so much for joining us at A Vintage Journey. Anne xx

rkramadh said...

I am blown away by this gorgeous box and the colors etc. Came here via vintagejourney, will be visiting often!

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

Wow! What a amazing piece of vintage work, Karen. And I'm totally captivated by the use of the matchbox die to create a box for your tiny book. Your attention to detail is just fantastic. I especially love the wandering girl. Thank you so much for sharing this fantastic piece with us over at Frilly and Funkie!

Hugs,
Linda

Anita Houston said...

What an excellent little project and cool to boot! LOVE the mini album in this matchbox. So unique and gorgeous!

Heather Jacob said...

wow so striking and glorious, full of richness and beauty ... loveeeeeeeeeeeee x

Helena White said...

Your Vintage matchbook creation is wonderful! The details are amazing.

Simply lovely Tammy...a whisper of white lace to catch our dreams...

Helena
─ƤєтαƖ & Lαcє Ƈσттαgє ─

Kimberly Cobb said...

Absolutely love your matchbook and mini album...filled with so many surprises! Thanks for sharing.

Bonnie McLain said...

This is really fantastic and the detail is SUPER great... love it all... what a piece of ART this is... really vintage and so very precise... I just got the matchbox... and can hardly wait to play with it... love yours... Love, Light and Peace...Bonnie

Ana K. said...

Amazing!

butterfly said...

Another jaw-droppingly brilliant creation, Karen... perfect vintage look, and great use of all those wonderful photos. Love, love it! Thanks so much for joining us on A Vintage Journey.
Alison xx

ßeulah ßee said...

Your projects are really top-notch! Long live vintage vibes!

Jackie Blackman said...

Karen, this is amazing! I absolutely love it and thank you so much for providing a step by step tutorial. I am going to give this a go! Good luck in the challenges. Jackie

Lys Scrap said...

It's a great idea, and a beautiful creation! I love all these small photos inside this wonderful box!