Friday, August 22, 2014

The Journey! Hip to be Square/Anything Goes/Steampunk





Hello and welcome,

Thanks so much for visiting today. I hope you enjoy my newest creation. This box was created to replace my current 'male inspired metal embellishments' storage container which is overflowing. Solution is to make another I say. I warn you there are quite a few photos.





Challenges entered:

Frilly and funky. The challenge is  Hip to be Square Linda from the Funkie Junkie Boutique is offering a $25 spending spree to one very lucky winner.  http://frillyandfunkie.blogspot.com.au/2014/08/hip-to-be-square.html










Simon Says 'Anything Goes' Monday Challenge. They are offering a $50 voucher to one very lucky winner.
http://www.simonsaysstampblog.com/mondaychallenge/?p=1837















SanDee and Amelie's Summer Bonus Challengehttp://sandee-and-amelie.blogspot.co.at/p/steampunk-summer-bonus-challenge-2014.html
The sponsor for this extra challenge is:  http://www.retrokraftshop.pl/en/


Inspiration Emporium has a challenge going for August 'Anything Goes'
http://blog.inspirationemporium.com/?p=2487 They are also offering one lucky winner a $50 spending spree with them.




The Artistic Stamper August Challenge 'Anything Goes' but you must use some sort of stamping on your piece. There is a 15 pound voucher to one lucky winner.
http://www.theartisticstampercreativeteam.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/augusts-challenge-anything-goes.html








Here it is:


Here is my previous storage box which was overflowing.





This box has been in my studio for a while and was in need of an overhaul.


The front of my transformed box.

This is a replica of an old leather number plate they used to place on cars instead of today's metal ones. The inspiration for this came from my favourite tv show American Pickers.


Underneath is a Shrinky Dink Cog with a tag.




This is the lid. I have used a lot of Tim's paints, done some stamping and used embossing paste with a stencil. I have also sprayed Vintage Photo and Walnut Stain Distress Stains which have been placed in a mini mister.

This is one of Tim's pull knobs which I have placed a token inside.







The silver tower is paper covered with metal tape and has been embossed. Some cogs on top and a fragment on the front.  A small glass jar to house some cogs I made from Shrinky Dink,embossing powders and crackle accent.  The Trophy I found in the Reject shop and transformed to look old with texture paste, crackle accent and a metal flourish which has been bend around it.

From this to this.

Moving around to the left.


An old leather belt made from Tim's Manilla paper, then I have added eyelets, a buckle and of course inks.

Metal embellishment from my stash.

The back.











First time I've use the Jalopy Car. It was so much fun. I have place acetate behind the windows and added some silver Alcohol Ink to create reflection. I've used the Bottle Cap Die with a Cabochon. I've also added a grill to the front of the car.
Here is a link to a very talented lady in New Zealand..... Diane from Art of Craft for a wonderful tutorial on using this die.

Alcohol Inks and texture paste have aged these wonderful wheels. The cog is a metal embellishment.


The contents with plenty of room for more.
You have finally reached the end of this post.  It looks wonderful in my studio. 
Thanks so much for stopping by today. 
Till next time......

20 comments:

Buttons said...

That is incredible Karen!!! What an amazing box - something which will be so useful but quite frankly would have me gazing at it all the time! I love the way the wheels will make it easy to move over your table and all those gorgeous aged and rusted elements... oh, I could gaze all day. Great idea for using the altered acetate behind the jalopy for windows - must try that! Thank you so much for joining us at Frilly and Funkie. Jenny x

Astrid Maclean said...

Wow Karen, completely STUNNING makeover!! You really rock the steampunk theme!!! Love how you did each side, so many fab ideas and the top and legs look amazing!!

Thanks so much for adding this box to our challenge at the Artistic Stamper!

Connie said...

I am in awe of your creations. I love the steam-punk look and would love to learn how to do it. Your blog looks like the perfect spot to learn.
Amazing work!
I am your newest follower and I would love to invite you over to visit. Maybe you will even decide to follow me back.
Keep smiling and keep making your wonderful Victorian pieces, they are marvelous.
Connie :)

die amelie said...

Gosh, this is so incredible! LOVE LOVE LOVE every tiny genius detail on this awesome Steampunk creation!

Thank you for sharing all the wonderful close ups too. And thank you so much for playing with us at SASPC's Summer Bonus Challenge!

Hugs,
Claudia x

Ana K. said...

Karen, this is totally stunning makeover! So many great details to see and I love steampunk style!

Vintagelady said...

wow, what a beautiful steampunk box, very creative with great embellishments, love the trophy! Thanks so much for playing with us at SanDee&Amelies Steampunk Challenge.
Hugs, Kerstin

Emma Williams said...

Wow Karen ~ this is stunning! There is just so much wonderful detail and it's such a clever and creative piece of art! I absolutely love it!! Thank you so much for sharing your project and for joining us over on the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog! :)

Jackie Blackman said...

Wow Karen,this is just beautiful. Thanks for being inspiring :)
Jackie Blackman

Ruth said...

You are so talented Karen, love this steampunk trunk, the transformation of the trophy is brilliant, the gorgeous rusty, grungy effects...just fabulous! Ruth x

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

Drop dead AMAZING, Karen! Every single detail is so perfect and well-thought-out! What a fantastic piece to use for storage in your studio. So happy you shared it with us this week over at Frilly & Funkie!

Hugs,
Linda

Cec said...

Fantastic project. Love all the metal and all the transformed items. You have made a wonderful trunk that would be a great gift for a guy. Thanks for joining us at Frilly and Funkie.
Hugs!
Cec

n1sunrider said...

Wow! This is awesome! I love everything about it!
Ivette

Margaret Mifsud said...

Wow!! This altered box is awesome Karen!! Love the colours and textures and the way you've aged everything, there is just so much to see and admire!! Just stunning!!! ox

Mary Elizabeth said...

I'm sorry it's been so long since I have been by. I love this stampunk storage. Wow! So many fun techniques. Love the vintage cars and that trophy on top is amazing. What a gorgeous addition to your craftroon. Can't wait to see what other treasures I find on your blog -- Mary Elizabeth

Donna Gibson said...

Hi Karen, I absolutely love every inch of this little box! From the doo-dads on top to the pulley wheels on the bottom...it's stupendous! Your surfacing techniques are out of this world too!

Meresanth said...

Wow, it's amazing what you've do to this box! Love the texture and the colours!
Thank you for joining our challenge at SanDee&amelie's!
Agnieszka

Jennie -The Artistic Stamper said...

Gorgeous! Thank you for joining in The Artistic Stamper Creative Team challenge :)

Heather Smith said...

Wow, what a transformation. I am sure it looks great in your creative space. Thank you for sharing with us over at Inspiration Emporium.

Ruth said...

So happy you got a top 3 winners place, this blew me away first time I saw it. Fabulous work Karen! Stunning work! Ruth xx

S@ndy Diller said...

Karen

Great job as always. Congrats on your win!!