Monday, September 22, 2014

Book Store!

Hello and welcome,





















Today I have a new project to share. This little book store has been entered into

Compendium of Curiosities 3 Challenge #11 using Tim Holtz technique Effect Powders on page 52.  You can join in or just pop on over to Studio L3 run by Linda Ledbetter. http://lindaledbetter.com/2014/09/compendium-of-curiosities-3-challenge-11.html  To join in you must have your own copy of Compendium of Curiosities. The techniques cannot be revealed.

Sponsors are: Inspiration Emporium offering a very generous $50 in store voucher






and of course Tim Holtz and Mario Rossi have generously given a wonderful prize package that will be won by one very lucky individual chosen by the Curiosity Crew.


If you would like a copy of Compendium of Curiosities 1 2 or 3 click here Tim Holtz. Tim will even sign it for you.






2nd Challenge

Sandee & Amelies Steam Punk Challenge Steampunk Stories.  Why not join in yourself with a creation. Here is the link....http://sandee-and-amelie.blogspot.com.au/2014/09/september-challenge-and-cm-awareness.html


The sponsor is http://www.retailstore.7dotsstudio.com/

This little book store was for Steam Punk Enthusiasts until it  closed Dec 1901 when the great storm hit. This was just after the release of the first edition Steam Punk Stories staring the one and only Cog Nito. The store still stands today but everything inside is still as it was when the great storm hit. If you visit this tiny town you will find another four buildings barely standing...........



Here's what I did.....
I stared by cutting one of Tim's Luminary 3D Lanterns from white card stock. I cut an extra two bases as I used one for the ceiling and one I cut up to make the book shelves.

After assembling my lantern I started by adding some texture paste with the Stripes stencil then I added colour with Antique Linen, Weathered Wood and Americana Dark Chocolate paints. Next I added Tim's Effect Powder technique randomly on sides of store.  I also used this technique on some metal leaves, metal clock parts, brads the word Books which was cut from Tim's Typeset die, the advertisement on back  and cogs variously placed around the store.

I cut windows and a door from white card stock (cut them down to size) coloured them with Vintage Photo, Pumice Stone and Gathered Twigs then added acetate and crackle paint. I didn't stain the windows this time as I wanted you to be able to see inside.
On the book shelves I added the above mentioned inks then added Tim's texture paste using his latticeworks stencil.

The little books were cut from one of Spellbinders die sets, sorry I can't remember the name , its a set of 7 and were cut from various Tim papers and some were hung from the ceiling using clear nylon thread. The ceiling has been designed using Tim's foil tape and a clock embossing folder from my stash.                                                                                                                                                

I bordered up the back of the store so as to add an advertisement which was typed up and printed from my computer.

The Steam punk Lady riding her bicycle  has been fussy cut from Graphic 45 Steam punk Spells paper pad. I also cut a clock from the paper and glued it to her handlebars. She has a red cog on the front which has had Tim's Effect powder technique. I decided she needed a backpack/bag so went about creating one from a die in my stash, Its a tiny paper bag die I purchased from Simon Says Stamp ages ago. I then popped some foam in the bottom to bulk up the bottom of the bag. Then I added a some books of course and a couple of tomb stones from Tim's on the edge Graveyard die just for a bit of fun.










































Windows












Ceiling











Shelves












The bag.
























































































































































































































































































Well I hope you like this piece.  Feel free to ask any questions or leave a comment.  I love hearing from you.

Thanks so much for stopping by today I really appreciate it.

I will be back shortly with my 12 tags of  2014 September.              

                                              

32 comments:

Candy C said...

Hi Karen...as a lover of little details...this piece is extraordinary! I so love how you've transformed Tim's luminary into a book store!! Who thinks of that?!?! Amazing! I also love the little "flying" books in the interior. Such little details! Your G45 steampunk gal hovering over the bookstore is also a very cool idea. The grunginess you've created by using Tim's EP technique on the "steps" of the bookstore and the little gears you've placed here and there is wonderful. Thanks for sharing your art with all of us at CC3C. <3 Candy

Rita said...

Oh my goodness Karen, what a fantastic creation. Love it loads. Hugs Rita xxx

Anita Houston said...

How clever are you to add windows and door to this die?!!! Love the inside as well of this book store! The gears are wonderful too! Thanks so much for playing along with Effect Powders for our challenge at CC3Challenge!!!

Shari Trumbull said...

...and she even has a book bag on her back!!! OMG, Karen!! This is an AWESOME creation for both challenges!! Put my CC3 creation to shame...I don't even want to post it now ;) LOL!! Every little detail you put into this is FANTASTIC!! Great work on this!! Good Luck!! XOXO-Shari T.

Astrid Maclean said...

Wow, this is such an amazing project, love it! Original, inventive and just simply brilliant! Fantastic piece all round!!

Inky and Quirky said...

Wow,Karen this is absolutely stunning. You really do have the most fantastic ideas for your creations. I love this,the little details really make this stand out,fingers crossed this is the winner for you,it certainly deserves to be.

Thank you for following me,I have followed you for ages now and always admired your work :)

Hugs
Donna xxx

Belinda Basson said...

Your book shop blew me away! I love all your attention to detail. There is just so much to look at here and thank you for all the step out photos too, they always help the mind to understand just how you made it. The shattered glass particularly takes my fancy! This is a truly magnificent project.

Kimberly Cobb said...

Your Book Shop is awesome! I love each and every detail in your piece...and probably will go back and look at it several more times to completely appreciate everything.

Sara Barker said...

Uh, oh! Words are escaping me...imagine THAT!!! First, I just have to say how great that cracked window is! You have just added so many special details that I have to keep going back to look at your lovely 3D work of art. The advertisement, the books and headstones in the backpack, the worn steps...I could go on and on! This is lovely to look at, and the story is wonderful, too! What a pleasure this entire posting is!

Sara Barker said...

Forgive me for the second comment if the first shows up! I just added a very lenghty comment, when at first words escaped me, but I don't think it saved. It was spoken from the heart, so I don't remember exactly what I said, but your work here is absolutely wonderful! I love all those details, but mostly the cracked glass. But those books and headstones in the backpack, the ad on the back of the store (so charming), the worn steps are all so wonderful to look at!Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful talent for 3D pieces! Oh, I see now awaiting comment moderation. Oh well, 2 comments better than none!

klistersøster said...

Hi Karen what a great idea and fine detail in your bookstore, I LOVE it, I hope the steampunk girl has ridden the best books that were left after the storm;-)) Thank you for participating in Sandee & Amelie's Steampunk Challenge.
Hugs
Susan

klistersøster said...

Hi Karen, I thought "rescued" the good books ... lol
Hugs Susan

maj. said...

What a great work! I love all the details. Brilliant.

Hels Sheridan said...

How stinking CUTE is this!!! I love every single last detail you have packed into this delightful creation... Thanks for playing along with the CC3 Challenge and hope to see you again soon x

Brigitte said...

Your creation is amazing !!!
Thank you for your participation at Sandee & Amelie steampunk challenges
Coutureuse

Cheryl Grigsby said...

Wow, wow, wow! I love the story, I love the details, I love the symbols all throughout this amazing piece of art. Simply fabulous. LOVe it!!

Redanne said...

Oh my goodness Karen, this is absolutely fabulous! I love how you transformed the luminary and I love those G45 set of papers, the steampunk lady looks fantastic. Brilliant work! Anne x

Pawsitively Creative said...

I love to read and really want to visit this little shop! What a fantastic project and so detailed. TFS! ~Niki

Ruth said...

How stunningly inventive and original, LOVE this, it's SUPERB Karen, love every little bit of it, WONDEFUL!!! Ruth xx

die amelie said...

Sorry I'm late with commenting on your awesome entry, Karen,

but it was a bit hectic over here during the last days. But here I am and I am standing in awe, looking at what I would call the best use of the lantern die ever!

LOVE your little book shop and all the love and labour you put into decorating it. A truly enchanting make that tells more than just one steampunk story!

Thank you so much for sharing this with us at SanDee&amelie's Steampunk Challenges!

Hugs,
Claudia x

Annette Green said...

My jaw has officially dropped! This is so creepy and cool. I just love all the little details, and the backpack filled with goodies made me smile. So much fun. Fantastic creation!

Vintagelady said...

Amazing Karen, this is a gorgeous executed project and you obviously enjoyed the creative process. Thanks for sharing it with us at SASPC.Kerstin

toni said...

Really fabulous project! Beautifully made and very creative idea ! X

Marjie Kemper said...

Fantastic! So many cool details. Love the way you used the tiny gear as a binder/spine on the teensy book. Thanks for joining us at CC3C!

Ruth said...

Huge congratulations Karen......so well deserved, I'm so pleased for you!! Ruth x

Lisa H said...

very cool! congrats on your win. =)

Juliz Design Post said...

Congrats Karen on this work of Art. It is so inventive and stunning in every detail. You must be so thrilled to win. So well deserved.
Julie x

janna'scraftingattic said...

I thought this a worthy winner and adorable until I saw it properly on your blog and now I think it's amazing. Wow all the little details and cute story too :-) I have the luminary but would never have thought of that , going to try now ! Well done you !!!!

klistersøster said...

Congrats Karen with your stunning work. Hugs Susan

Holly M said...

Oh My, this is fabulous. I had to go back and look at it again and again. You certainly deserved to win that challenge. I'm new to your blog, and now am looking forward to seeing what else you create!

Larimore2 said...

OmaGOSH!!! Yes, I am just now getting the rounds to everyone's latest postings, so I won't have time to comment on every one of them, but I just HAD TO on THIS!!! What DETAILS!!! I just LOVE the little stuff -even though it takes alooot more patience to work with....it's just way too cute!!! I esp LOVE the backpack on her and the way she has books all around her- so much detail that we can actually get to KNOW this lady by what she's 'pedaling' !! Karen....WAY TO GO, you TALENTED GURL!!! Way to GO!!!

Mary Elizabeth said...

OH MY GOSH!!!! I can't believe I never commented on this. Simply AWESTRUCK by this whimsical steampunk make. Those tiny books and the backpack and ... oh look at "Cog Nito" (so smart!) Brilliantly done and so well-deserving of the Curiosity Crew's Choice. I love how you took the lantern and made it into a bookstore. Creative genius!! Congrats again Karen! Hugs to you -- Mary Elizabeth