Saturday, November 15, 2014

Photographic Studio

Hello and welcome,

Today I am sharing with you a piece I made for Compendium of Curiosities 3 Challenge 15 on page 38.....Cabinet Card Pocket.  I absolutely LOVE these cabinet cards and have bought many many packets. This time I really wanted to bulk mine up so I disassembled it and I added it to an old unused book that I had pulled apart. Of course I've also decorated the inside. Hope you like it.








Click HERE to visit Linda Ledbetter's Studio 3 where you can find  the challenge details and all the amazing pieces already created.









Sponsors for this challenge are: Tim and Mario who have generously donated a prize package for the Curiosity Crews Choice.

Inspiration Emporium is also offering a $50 voucher to one very lucky winner. Wish me luck!





Items used:

Old book, Cabinet Cards
Crackle Paint, Crackle Accents, Gesso, Cabochons, Film Strip, Monocle, Ring Binder,
Tim Holtz Papers, Elements Rub-ons, Mini Paper Clip, Metal Street Lamp, Memo Pins, Brads, Various Stamps,
Distress Sprays: Tea Dye, Walnut Stain & Vintage Photo.
Paints: Decoart Dark Chocolate & Antique Gold. Distress Paint Walnut Stain & Pumice Stone.
Inks: Vintage Photo, Gathered Twigs, Walnut Stain, Archival Black.
Dies: Tiny Tabs & Tags
Adhesives: E6000, Double sided tape. Glossy Accents



So here is my creative process and finished project......

I started by slicing the cabinet card open.















Here I have completely removed the front from the back, then I added crackle paint randomly and when dry I inked it using a variety of brown ink pads. Next I sprayed it with Tim's new Distress Sprays, sorry forgot to take a photo of this process.















Here I have used some packaging for my background which I have stamped and heat embossed. The word Photograph was stamped twice, on the second time it was embossed.




















Now time to put this together.



Adding some Cabochons.



Here I am getting the measurements for the book I am about to cut up.














Checking my cabinet card fits perfectly. Before attaching my cabinet card I used the above mentioned paints to age my book.














Gluing in the inside.


I added the binder ring before I glued the paper down.














Gluing on my lamp embellishment to back panel. I have used Alcohol Inks, Glossy and Crackle accents to age it.




Gluing the cabinet card to outside.















Attaching the front of the cabinet card.















Here are all the pieces I have for the inside. I have attached Memo Pins into the small cabinet cards so they can hang from the binder ring.















Outside.














Spine







Inside. What is left of the Please Do Not Disturb sign used when Photo shoots were in session.


























Where the late Mr. George Henry Stevens kept all his receipts and information relating to the studio.



























































































































Here on the monocle you can see Mr.George Henry Stevens. This small folder was what he carried around with him in the late 1800's. As you saw it houses his receipts for clients and some samples of his work.




































































I hope you have enjoyed your visit here today. I had a fabulous time creating this piece.
Back soon with my Tim's 12 tags of 2014 for November.



21 comments:

Susan said...

What a clever way to use the cabinet card, Karen! Very original! Love the way you incorporated the front and back onto an old book. It is embellished so beautifully too!

Jan Hill said...

What a brilliant idea, I love how you used the cards x

Rita said...

Oh my goodness Karen, what Wonderful book covers. Great transformation. I love this and all that you have done to make it your own. Enjoy your Weekend. Hugs Rita xxx

Jennie Atkinson said...

Wow !! Fabulous use of the cabinet card and the old book spine. Everything about your project is wonderful - colours, textures, embellishments, design. LOVE IT !! x

Cheryl Grigsby said...

Karen, this is fabulous. I absolutely love how you've transformed this book and the story you've built around it. Brilliant use of the cabinet card! Gotta go, I need to go alter a book right NOW, for some reason!! ;-p

Mona Pendleton said...

Wow Karen! What a fantastic project! Love how you showcased the cabinet cards! All the distressing looks amazing!

Meggymay said...

Fantastic altering, love all the details and the story you added with the great photos.
Yvonne

butterfly said...

Oh my word, Karen... how absolutely glorious. I love how you've built the whole thing up, and the covers are beautifully done, embellished to perfection. And a wealth of vintage atmosphere inside too. Just lovely!
Alison xx

Rea' said...

Oh Karen this is so AWESOME ... love how you used the film strip ... OMG ... so many cool details ...

toni said...

Fantastic! What a brilliant idea!! And beautifully created . Really gorgeous in every detail x

Shari Trumbull said...

OK Karen--Shall I call it again? WINNER!!! :) LOL! Just WOW!! You've outdone yourself again with the CC3 challenge!! Just Fabulous!! I don't think I'll finish mine now! LOL! :) I'll just sit back and wait for you to be called WINNER!! :) Happy Weekend!! XOXO-Shari

Anita Houston said...

Beyond fabulous in every way! LOVE LOVE LOVE it! Great that you took it apart and added so much too! The inside is wonderful! LOVE how you think! Thanks for much for playing along with us on the Cabinet Card Pocket challenge at CC3Challenge!!!

Lesli Giertuga said...

awesome !

I need to get creating & would like to make one like this for Christmas

crafty creations said...

Wow what an original and unique way to use the cabinet cards - brilliant

Candy C said...

Karen...this is just unbelievable! I am amazed at your creativity and how you've taken an ordinary library book and TOTALLY altered it into something fabulous to illustrate Tim's cabinet cards! Brilliant! I so love your exterior covers of the book. And each of your interior pages are equally as gorgeous and inventive as the cover! Thanks so much for sharing this beautiful piece of art with all of us at CC3C. <3 Candy

Clareene Forbes said...

Well, this is just a piece of ART! I love the finished cabinet card but most of all I LOVE the detailed instructions of how you did it. Thanks so much for sharing your talents...

Marjie Kemper said...

What a super transformation! Love all the details you've included, especially the filmstrip on the spine. Thanks for joining us at CC3C!

Ruth said...

Wow Karen, another absolutely outstanding creation! What a wonderful use of cabinet cards. The details as with all your art is stunning, love the lamp post and the pictures in the film strip, to name just two....love this! Ruth x

Julia Aston said...

What a marvelous book Karen - thanks for sharing all the steps on how you created this - love the textures and all the interesting pieces inside!

Jess M said...

Your altered book is awesome! I love how you put this all together.
Jess

Ana K. said...

Holly cow Karen, this is amazing! Truly love your imagination!