Friday, November 7, 2014

Winter Butterfly Colored Crackle

Hello and welcome,

It's time for Compendium of Curiosities 3 again and this time it's Colored Crackle on page 53. Linda has organised another great challenge for us all, pop over to see all the amazing entries and inspiration...... Linda Ledbetter CC3.   I  have to say this is one of my favourite techniques. This time I decided to get started on my Christmas cards, although I've had a great time using this technique I have not enjoyed the consolidation part, nothing seemed to look right and I was over thinking it all. I think because I had so much texture on my images it threw me into thinking the background was too naked.  Anyway I'm also here because I wanted to show you what else you can do with the Rangers Distress Crackle Paint.



Here is my Winter Butterfly Card.









The sponsors for this challenge are Tim Holtz and Mario Rossi who have given some amazing prize packs for the Curiosity Crews Choice. If you would like to join in the CC3 Challenges click here for your own copy.





Also sponsoring is THE FUNKIE JUNKIE Linda is generously giving one lucky recipient a $25 voucher to spend in her store. Linda has all the latest and greatest Tim Holtz products and lots of other great merchandise along with great customer service.




As I cannot share with you the Colored Crackle Technique I can share some experimenting I have been doing so here goes.

I taped down my grunge paper shape to a non stick mat.  Then use a brush to push the crackle paint into the openings on the shape.




















Once dry, start pulling it up, you will notice the centre has collapsed and stayed on the non stick mat.
I placed some in a glass bottle for another project


















You will be left with a broken glass effect.

















I recommend just filling in the openings first then if you want to do the outside areas do them afterwards as it won't buckle as much.





How cool does this look!!




Here are a couple of other cards I have made












































I love how the pocket watch turned out.





















































































Here I used Tim's Stacked Stars die to cut the star out.


















I also tried this with Crackle Accents and Glossy Accents. Both of them turned out really well and stayed in tact when removed from the craft mat. I also tried a hole punch through the Glossy Accents which worked like a breeze, thought I could put a brad through it if I wanted. You could even try a tiny star die in the window with the Glossy Accents.



Thanks so much for stopping by. Have a great day!!







6 comments:

Astrid Maclean said...

A wow Karin, such a great post! Your main project looks wonderful, love how the butterfly turned out! But I have to say, your crackle experiments really inspired me, so very clever with amazing results! Now I can't wait to see what you will do with the rescued bits in the little bottle!

Shari Trumbull said...

Fab CC3 #14 card, Karen!! This is one of my fav Tim techniques, too :) And good for you for working on your Christmas cards!! The recipients will LOVE them!! XOXO-Shari T.

Cheryl Grigsby said...

Great art, Karen. Your trellis and butterfly are striking and the colors on that butterfly blow me away. Just gorgeous. <3

Marjie Kemper said...

Beautiful cards! Love the pocket watch and the butterfly, especially the tips of the' wings. Thanks for sharing these with us at CC3C!

Buttons said...

Love that crackled butterfly and such a great inspiring post sharing your ideas too. Jenny x

Lisa M said...

That is incredible what you've created here. I love the 'frozen' look. These are just fantastic ideas. :) New to your blog and loving your creative mind.
Lisa