Monday, January 5, 2015

A Vintage Journey Guest Creative Guide

Hello and welcome,

Happy New Year every-one!!!  I am  very excited to announce that I have been asked to be a Guest Creative Guide for a challenge over at A Vintage Journey.
The challenge  is Ring out the old, Ring in the New with the host being the lovely Brenda Brown herself. Pop on over to see all the amazing entries and read some more about me. You may even like to join in with your own creation.

My Tim influence was to use some of his techniques, one being Layering Stencil Embossing, Altered Surfaces and the all important one to me to age everything.

The sponsor is: Country View Crafts where you can find all your craft goodies in one place.


Without further ado here is my Christmas Card Folder.......


































These Worn Covers come in many different designs.

















Adding some random stamping.



















We all need a little texture so here we go....

















Adding some Gesso on the edges of the spine and randomly over the cover.


















Some stamping and texture onto the Found Relative.



















Now onto the inside. I love this aged worn look.


















Need to add some stamping. I'm a bit like Tim and don't always clean my stamps.



















Here I have used Tim's Layering Stencil Embossing which you can find in Compendium of Curiosities 3. Click HERE here to purchase your copy


















Peeling the back off the found relatives so I can use the backing on my project. To pretty to waste left on the back of the images....don't you think??



















Here I have glued the backing pieces into my cover.
























Now for some more crackle texture especially around the edges.


















Heat embossing some more images. I can still remember the first time I was shown this technique and it still brings a smile to my face....what a cool product. These Ranger powders are super fine and really bring out the fine details of your image.




































Now I have a folder to store my Christmas cards in and I may add something on the left to hold a list too.























































I have placed a piece of stamped aged paper behind the Found Relative. I have also added a rub on, a hinge, the word wish and a clip.  I also added some Picket fence and Vintage Photo Distress Spray around the cover, which I forgot to photograph.






On the spine I have added a button with different lengths of chain. The charms have been alcohol inked, had Aleene's Glitter Snow added and lot's of little bells.


On the numerals I have used Tim's altered Surfaces technique which you can also find in Compendium of Curiosities 3.





I hope I have covered every thing,.... if not I will be happy to answer any questions in the comment box or you can email me from the side bar.

I really enjoy all the challenges Brenda and the team organizes for us and I would like to thank A Vintage Journey for inviting me on today's journey.

Don't forget I am having a GIVEAWAY once my follower list reaches 100....so if you want to be in the running for another prize just click on Join this Site on the side bar and follow the prompts.
Here's a little hint....the prize will be a voucher so you can choose your own favorite craft goodies.!!! YEY!! Stay tuned.
Thank-you for visiting!!

7 comments:

Shari Trumbull said...

YAY KAREN!! Congrats on the very well deserved Guest Creative Guide spot at A Vintage Journey!! Your AVJ challenge creations and your Tim inspired style is exactly why AVJ wanted you :) You are just AWESOME!! You've altered a worn cover just wonderfully for your GCG project :) It's a lovely way to keep all of your Christmas makes :) Congratulations again!! Cheers to a FABULOUS 2015!! XOXO-Shari

Almo said...

Wow! Karen this is a fabulous altered worn cover. What a great idea to use the back off the found relatives cards. Some lovely textures and layers and so well explained. Mo x

butterfly said...

Saw this stunner over at AVJ, but it's so great to get some more how-to details of the process. It's completely and utterly gorgeous, Karen - thank you so much for joining us on the journey so beautifully.
Alison xx

Ruth said...

Fabulous, just fabulous! You are so talented, it's always a treat to visit your blog! Ruth x

Terry said...

Karen this is a real treat for the eyes and so happy that you were our guest CG! Love this! Happy New Year!

Rita said...

Wow Wow and WOW Karen. What a stunning book. The more I look the mere I see. Thank you so much for the How to.... Enjoy your Day. Hugs Rita xxx

Vintagehandmade said...

Woooow Karen! This altered book worn cover is amazing! I love the idea to peel of the Found Relatives card. Thank you for the great inspiration!
Branka xxx